Sunday, July 29, 2007

Near the end of Summer Break

My daughter now has about 3 weeks before school starts. Most kids in today's society keep very busy during the summer with different "camps," swimming lessons, exciting trips and whatnot. As a child I remember melting in the hot sun during tennis camp. I vowed never to force my child into something physically gruelling just to pass the summer time. So last week she's been in strings camp. At first she was excited that she would be sleeping in a sleeping bag, collecting rocks and dirt, and using a combination sunscreen/bug repellent. But I explained to her that it's just a day camp, and that she would be playing the viola, the instrument she chose probably because I have a viola. After the 3rd day she was ready to stay home. I asked her why she didn't want to go. I eventually got out of her that, after her rhythm class, eurythmics class, and class piano, she has to stand up during most of master class.
So do I force her to endure the physical hardship of standing up, or does she switch to the cello, which ensures her seated position during class?
She has already told me that she doesn't want to go to strings camp next year. Perhaps I should have spent the money from camp on individual lessons for her.
I got a nasty blister on my thumb from tennis camp. All my daughter might get is falling arches, which I don't think is possible to get in the pediatric population.

No comments: